A Montessori Language Exploration
For years, there has existed an unexplored gap in a child’s Montessori journey from the Primary to the Lower Elementary classroom. We are here to help change that!
Sound Support: Filling the Gaps in Literacy Development from Primary to Lower Elementary
An Interactive Exploration of the Science of Reading
Three-parts, in-person at Parkside Community School, Austin, Texas
July 26-28, 2021 | October 16, 2021 | November 13, 2021
9 AM – 3 PM $600
Led by Toni Norton, AMI, M. Ed, ALT, Advanced Literacy Specialist
Come away with…
- Enhanced language foundations to improve outcomes for all children
- Heightened awareness of the Science of Reading
- Full circle understanding . . . from Primary through Lower El
- Printed materials and access to digital materials available for download
- Access to a network of like-minded educators who you share and practice with – in person
- 25 hours of professional development hours
- Each participant will receive one Literacy Coaching Session with Ms. Toni for your 2021-2022 school year . . . to use as you need it
|Location:||Parkside Community School, Austin, Texas|
|Who is this for?||For Primary and Lower Elementary Montessori Guides|
|Dates:||Part 1: Monday – Wednesday, July 26-28|
Part 2: Saturday, October 16
Part 3: Saturday, November 13
Bonus: One individual Literacy Coaching Session
|Daily Schedule:||9:00-12:00 Morning Lecture / Discussion Sessions|
1:00-3:00 Afternoon Sessions
Research to practice connections / Small group interaction
(2:30-3:00) Shared Experience
Share your art of teaching with a favorite poem, song, or story
Reflections & Questions
Join us in July for Part One of a special camp experience just for teachers! This course will give you a deep understanding of all aspects of fostering reading fluency and comprehension skills as well as the sequence of explicit instruction necessary for all children to achieve reading success. We have divided the content into digestible parts beginning this summer and continuing through the fall to allow for maximum absorption and implementation. This is an opportunity you won’t want to pass up, at a most crucial time where children all over the world are emerging from their quarantine bubbles eager to be instructed and engaged by you.
- Do you have the tools to advance children’s literacy skills?
- What are the most effective instructional strategies to promote better readers?
- What are the roadblocks to word reading and how to prevent them?
- How can we help our K-3 develop fluent and expressive reading and writing?
- What is a skilled reader and how do we get our children on the road to independence with reading and writing?
- What’s the latest scientific research that will blow your mind on how children learn to read?
Literacy challenges for meeting the needs of children in the coming school year shall be the number one priority for early childhood and elementary guides. How will you be prepared for addressing learning loss? We need to hear what the latest science has confirmed and realign our current Montessori practice to meet the demands of today’s children in this moment. Additionally, professional collaboration is essential to develop a keen plan. Become a member of our community of educators committed to sharing best practices to improve literacy outcomes. Make this investment in your teaching practice to become a literacy leader and inspire a culture of reading in your communities.
Monday, July 26: What is Skilled Reading and how do we get there?
- The Reading Ladder
- The Big Five of Reading
- Simple View of Reading
- Scarborough’s Reading Rope
Tuesday July 28: Oral Language & Phonological Awareness – The foundation is everything!
- Phones of English
- Phonological Continuum
- Levels of Phonemic Awareness
- Becoming Proficient with Phonemic Awareness
Wednesday July 29: Phonics Decoding and Automatic Word Recognition
- Alphabetic Principal & Foundations of English
- Vowels, Consonants, Syllables, Onset-Rime
- Orthographic mapping – how words become known by sight
- Phonics Scope & Sequence
Saturday, October 16: Handwriting, Spelling & Fluency
- Handwriting Connections
- Orthography – Relationship of Spelling to Reading.
- Fluency- Connected text reading, Decodable versus Leveled Readers.
Saturday, November 13: Comprehension – the Ultimate Goal of Reading! Vocabulary, Writing and Comprehension
- Explicit Vocabulary
- Comprehension Strategies
- Structured Thinking & Writing
One Literacy Coaching Session with Ms. Toni for your 2021-22 school year . . . to be used as you need it!
- Continental breakfast, water and snacks provided (we will do our best to pamper and take care of you while you are with us!)
- Bring your own lunch or dine out at nearby restaurants
- Bring your knowledge and background as we unpack the latest research about how children learn to read words and why some struggle
- Come ready to inquire, interact and reflect
- Explore resources to jumpstart fall planning
- Language work kits will be available for purchase
- Hosted by Parkside Community School (3207 W. Slaughter Lane, Austin, Texas 78748)
- Register by May 30, 2021
- Group limited to 30 participants